There’s always a bump in the business at Balance Acupuncture and Wellness Center in September. One of top reasons is it’s Back to School time! Whether they’re little and in grade school, or BIG and at home on summer break from college, they take up a lot of time and energy! By the time September rolls around, we are ready for a set schedule again. We are ready to notch ourselves up on the self-care ladder after a few months of putting other’s needs first.
Fall is the best season to do just that. It’s the time of harvest when fresh produce is in greatest abundance. Going to the farmers market is a feast for the eyes as the tables spill over with colorful vegetables. We feel inspired to stock up for the week, and maybe even for the winter season as we find ways to preserve all the bounty.
Here are some simple tips to get you back on track.
- Journal – Write it down to make it happen. Make a commitment to journal for 5 minutes each morning. Think of journaling as mapquest for your goals. Writing down your plan will give you direction for what you really want to achieve. It will also keep you in the moment so you enjoy the journey to good health.
- Exercise – Try and fit in 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise. That’s 30 minutes 5 days a week. If you’re feeling stale in your exercise routine, try out something new. Go for a hike or to a new yoga class.
- Meditate – Put your mind where you mouth is. Take 10 minutes each morning to center and just Be. Take this time for yourself to become clear with your inner feelings and goals.
- Find an Accountability Partner or Join a Group – Share these tips with someone who will help keep you on your path. Start them together and keep each other accountable. Many of us are motivated by group energy so use that to your advantage.
- Take a trip to the Farmers Market and/or a Health Food Store – Being in an environment where you are surrounded by healthy choices is like taking the full immersion route when learning a foreign language. If you are familiar with the good-for-you choices already, it’s like coming home again. You see those old friends you once knew and made you feel good about yourself. If you’re in the how-the-heck-do-you-say (let alone cook!)-quinoa category, then take some time to read the packages at the health food store. Educate yourself about different natural ingredients. At the Farmer’s Markets, ask Farmers questions – they will likely give you information about their produce and recipes! Build relationships with the folks you encounter. They want you to get healthy too!
- Go to an Expert – If all of this seems daunting to you, or if you saw a practitioner in the past who has helped you jump start your wellness plan, by all means – BOOK THAT APPOINTMENT! Our acupuncture patients come in to re-boot when they are far off their path of wellness. Come in for a treatment. Part of the treatment is guidance! We all need a little of that sometime
HAPPY WELLNESS NEW YEAR!